Cut Drills are used with the goal of testing your athlete’s response to directional signals (random or otherwise selected), speed, and agility. They can be set up a number of ways and requires a minimum of 3 timing gates.
Cut drills tend to employ the concept of 'levels' where a level can have more than 1 timing gate assigned to it.
Minimum number of timing gates: 3
Suitable for SmartSpeed Pro
- Standard Drill Type - athlete performs the drill a single time.
- Repetitions Drill Type - athlete performs the drill multiple times as per number of repetitions set.
- Standard Start Type - athlete begins ahead of the start beam and timing begins when the athlete breaks the beam.
- Reactive Start Type - timing starts when the gate flashes green after a randomised period of time. Reaction time will be captured between the gate flash and when the first gate is broken.
- In Beam/Mat Start Type - begin with the beam directly on the athlete and timing begins when the athlete leaves the beam. If using a SmartPad, athlete begins with their weight on the SmartPad and timing begins when pressure is removed from the SmartPad.
- Levels - choose the number of levels. A level will have an instance or several instances of timing gates that the athletes would be prompted to pass through. For example:
- Cut 1-1-2 is 3 levels with level 1 set as 1 (Start Gate).
- Cut 0-1-3 is 2 levels with level 1 set as 0 (Reactive).
- Random Direction - athlete performs the drill in a random direction.
- Fixed Direction - athlete performs the drill in a fixed direction.
To setup in SmartSpeed app:
- Log in to SmartSpeed app
- Select Start Session
- Select Drill: Cut
- Select My Drill: Standard (unless using a custom drill created in SmartSpeed Online)
- Select your Team
- Select Mode: Automatic (unless using SmartScan RFID reader)
- Confirm Re-arm: 500 ms. The time is takes for gates to reset for the next athlete - adjust as required
- Name session as required for your reporting
- Select Ready
- Set the timing gate order. Walk through the timing gates in the order the athlete will pass through.
- Select your Drill Type
- Select your Start Type
- [Reactive Start] Select your Reactive Type. Light, Buzzer or Light & Buzzer
- [Reactive Start] Select your Reactive Delay (s). The minimum and maximum amount of time delay for start cue to trigger.
- Select your Levels. Select the number of gates for each level.
- Select your Cut Type
- Select your Cut Delay (s). The minimum and maximum amount of time delay for the next cue to trigger.
- Select your Direction
- Select your Tag Result preference. If you select On, you then select the amount of time to tag a result valid or invalid.
- Select the Tick Icon
- Run through the drill as prompted by the timing gates and drill set up.