The Serpentine drill is used to train athletes to reactively change direction in response to a defender immediately in front of them. Each athlete is assigned a colour for example:
- Athlete X = red
- Athlete Y = green
Upon commencement of the drill, the athlete must run through the gate corresponding to their colour. The athlete continues to repeat this for a set time, with the goal being to cover as much distance in the time as possible.
In a team situation, each team must work together to move the ball as quickly as possible from point to point. This can also be an unplanned S run for a single athlete with skill elements (like a Jump) assigned to different flashing coloured light signals.
Minimum number of timing gates: 2
Suitable for SmartSpeed Pro
- Colour Flash - Red, Green, Blue and All Colours (Red, Green, Blue)
To setup in SmartSpeed app:
- Log in to SmartSpeed app
- Select Start Session
- Select Drill: Serpentine
- Select My Drill: Standard (unless using a custom drill created in SmartSpeed Online)
- Select your Team
- Select Mode: Automatic (unless using SmartScan RFID reader)
- Confirm Re-arm: 500 ms. The time is takes for gates to reset for the next athlete - adjust as required
- Name session as required for your reporting
- Select Ready
- Set the timing gate order. Walk through the timing gates in the order the athlete will pass through.
- Select your Number of options. The number of colour flash choices to use.
- Select your Flash Choices
- Select your Delay. The minimum and maximum amount of time delay between colour flashes
- Select your Tag Result preference. If you select On, you then select the amount of time to tag a result valid or invalid.
- Select the Tick Icon
- Run through the drill as prompted by the timing gates and drill set up.