When setting up your SmartSpeed Plus gates for a drill, the timing units and reflectors must be properly aligned. This ensures the gates are armed and can accurately detect an athlete passing through the beam.
Use the guide below to align each of your timing gates before conducting your drill.
- With your timing gates placed in-field, turn on your timing units. This can be done by inserting the rechargeable battery pack into the unit, or by pressing and holding the power button on the base of the unit for three seconds.
- Tap (do not hold down) the Configuration button on the base of the unit. You will hear a single beep as the device switches to alignment mode and the laser beam becomes active. The LED display will then indicate the alignment status.
Do not hold down the Configuration button. You will hear three beeps as this attempts to change the channel ID on your timing gate. Simply tap to begin the alignment sequence.
|The alignment occurred too quickly (beam already pointed at reflector) and could not be detected. Rotate away then back again.||The beam is not currently aligned with the reflector.||Upon rotating the device, the beam is aligned with the reflector and is completing the alignment sequence.|
Avoid staring directly into the laser beam or pointing it at anyone else, as this can cause serious eye damage or injury.
- Rotate so that the arrow on top of the timing unit is pointing directly at the reflector. To do this, twist anticlockwise on the circular knob at the head of the tripod, then begin to rotate the unit.
If you received the red exclamation mark ! when beginning the alignment sequence, rotate slowly away from the reflector, then back again.
- When you have aligned the laser beam with the reflector properly, the LED will display a green plus and circle. Once the circle has completed a full rotation around the green plus, the unit will beep to indicate that the alignment sequence is complete.
- Turn the knob at the head of the tripod clockwise to tighten the timing unit in place.
- Repeat this process with each unit to align all of your timing gates.
What happens if I try to start a drill with my gates not aligned?
If you attempt to start a drill with any of your gates not aligned properly, you will receive the below alert in the SmartSpeed Plus app after confirming your gate order.
Align the gates using the steps above, then click Ok, got it to the alert in the app to finish setting up your drill.
What if my gates become misaligned during my drill?
If for any reason (weather, human error, etc.) the gates are knocked off alignment during the middle of your drill, these can easily be realigned without having to quit your entire session.
Once the gate is not aligned, you will receive the following error on your SmartSpeed Plus app. The problem timing unit will also show 'NOT ALIGNED' and a red status bar on the LED display.
Realign the gate using the steps above, then click the Reset button on the SmartSpeed Plus app. This will reset the current athlete's trial so that they can run again.