This guide will walk you through how to run speed and agility drills using the SmartSpeed Plus timing gate systems.
Before you begin
Before you can conduct your first session, you must complete the following prerequisites:
- Download the SmartSpeed Plus app on your smart device (iPhone or iPad - Android app coming soon).
- Unbox your SmartSpeed Plus system and assemble your timing gates.
- Fully charge all of the timing unit batteries.
- Create all of your athlete profiles in VALD Hub.
Set up a drill in the SmartSpeed Plus app
Once you have completed each step in the 'Before you begin' section, you can set up a session in the SmartSpeed Plus app and start running a drill.
- Turn on all timing units. When inserting the battery into the timing unit, this should turn the device on automatically. Alternatively, you can turn on each timing gate by pressing and holding the power button at the base of the unit for three seconds.
- Open the SmartSpeed Plus app on your smart device and log in using your VALD Hub credentials.
- In the Devices tab of the home page, click the button. This will search for and display all SmartSpeed devices nearby.
- From the Devices nearby list, select your primary device.
The primary device must be within a maximum 50-metre range of your smart device at all times to maintain a strong Bluetooth connection between the gates and your SmartSpeed Plus app.
- Click Connect. You will then be returned to the home screen. To double-check that all gates have been connected, click on the Bluetooth symbol in the top-right. This will display the primary device, along with any other gates on the same channel.
Missing gates? You may need to change the channel.
- Click Start a session to configure your drill setup.
Sprints or Change of Direction.
Free Timing and Force Velocity Profiling (FVP) coming soon!
|Drill name||This will vary depending on the drill type selected. See our SmartSpeed Drill List for more information.|
|Gate layout||Based on your drill selection, review the layout of your gates. This can also be done by clicking Review gates layout.|
|Split distance||The desired distance between each gate in-field.|
|Profile selection||Auto select, Manual select, or RFID.|
|Start type||Break beam or In-beam / Mat.|
|Signal type||Lights, Buzzer, or Lights & Buzzer.|
|Signal delay||Minimum delay (s) and Maximum delay (s) of signal.|
|Change of direction||Random, Left, Right, or Both.|
|Gate rearm (ms)||Time for gate to rearm for next athlete (ms).|
|Error Correction Processing (ECP)||Enable or disable ECP.|
- Set up your gates in-field for the drill you have selected.
It is recommended to use a measurement device to correctly measure the spacing between gates.
- Click the button. Each gate in the app is designated an alphabetical letter, which is shown on the LED display of the corresponding timing unit. You can click Flash device if you cannot differentiate devices, as this will flash a white light on the specified unit.
Click and drag your gates into the correct order if necessary, then click Confirm.
If you receive an alert that your gates are not aligned, please align your gates properly before continuing.
- Select the relevant profiles for the athletes that will be completing the drill. You can choose a specific Group that you have previously set up in VALD Hub or click into the Profiles tab to select athletes individually.
- Click Add to queue and review your athlete list in the queue.
- You can reorder your athletes at this stage, or remove a profile from the current queue*.
* This will only remove the athlete from the current queue, not from the group in VALD Hub.
|Click and drag to reorder.||Click orange X to remove.|
- Click Confirm when you are ready to begin your session. You will then see the name of your first athlete appear both in the SmartSpeed Plus app, as well as displayed on the timing gates.
- When your first athlete is lined up at the starting gate and ready to begin the drill, click Ready to arm the timing gates. Once they break the beam on the first gate, their time will begin. As the athlete runs through each gate, their split times will display on the relevant gate.
- Once the athlete breaks the final gate in the drill, the time will cease and by displayed in the app. If you have more than one athlete in your queue, the next athlete will then be displayed if you have set the profile selection to automatic.
- When you are ready to end your session, click the pause button, then click Finish.
At any time during your session, you can click on the Live results button in the top-right to view a leaderboard of your athletes' current times. Each column of these results can be sorted from ascending to descending and vice versa, allowing you to quickly see the performance of your runners.
Once your session is over, you can then view the results by clicking on the Results tab in the bottom navigation bar. Alternatively, you can view these results by logging into your VALD Hub account.
Once you have completed your session, ensure you remove the batteries from the timing units and place them back on charge.
Please sign in to leave a comment.